Health insurance is probably the most important thing for you in the Netherlands. It's probably already clear that it is essential. If you live in this country, the government obliges you to take out Dutch health insurance. Health insurance is not the only compulsory insurance, if you have a car (as in most countries) you should also take out car insurance. Here are some tips on compulsory insurance in the Netherlands.
Health insurance is compulsory for all people who live or work in the Netherlands. Even if you already have a European health insurance policy, you still need to take out Dutch insurance. Within four months of registering in this country, you must take out health insurance.
The Dutch healthcare system is of high quality. The system is financed by taxes and compulsory health insurance. Each insurer offers you a number of packages to choose from, for example the simplest package is called: baseverzekering.
There’s also a handy tool where you can compare different health insurance policies and choose the one that suits you best. You can do this at Zorgwijzer.nl.
If you own a car, you are obliged to take out car insurance in the Netherlands, as in all European countries. You must have at least compulsory third party car insurance. Car insurance requirements in the Netherlands:
- Must have a European Union driving licence
- The car needs Dutch plates
- You must live in the Netherlands
Different car insurances in the Netherlands:
- WA car insurance (compulsory third party liability insurance)
Compulsory basic insurance. This only covers damage you cause to other people and their property with your car.
- WA- Casco insurance (third party liability and limited cover) In addition to the main points of WA, as stated above, CASCO insurance means that you are also covered for a wide range of damages. This includes car theft, fire, broken windscreens.
- All claims insurance (civil liability + comprehensive cover)
- All-risk insurance is the most complete package you can get and includes almost all damage to your car caused by you and others.
Would you like to calculate the best car insurance? You can do this at Overstappen.nl, an independent website where you can compare different car insurance policies.
Don’t hesitate to contact the Robin team to help you get covered. Let us know if you need more information about home insurance or any other insurance. We are always here to help!